Coy Bettie’s Espresso & Bistro will be open Sundays now 9am to 3pm. There is less competion for parking on Sundays . Use the back entrance as the bookstore is not open on Sundays at all. Looking forward to serving Nampa, ID lunch.
Handmade Instant Mincemeat 1 cup
Make at least 3 days ahead of dinner or pie making day.
1 Cup is enough to mix with enough apples or pears for one pie, crisp, or cobbler. (Using 8 cups of fruit per 1 cup of mincemeat, depending on how strong you want the flavor. You can use more, or less.) Simply toss the desired amount with your sliced fruit and proceed. Since the candied oranges are slightly sweet, you can reduce the amount of sugar in whatever recipe you’re using by a tablespoon or depending on how sweet your apples are, you can leave it out.
Dried currants or diced prunes can also replace some of the raisins, for variety. Like regular mincemeat, this will keep for quite a long time, and can be made weeks, or even months before you plan to use it. Keep it in a jar at room temperature. The taste of the brandy will mellow nicely the longer it sits.
2/3 cup chopped raisins,
dark or golden 1/2 cup chopped candied orange peel, try to pick one that has no artificial flavors or colors
1/4 cup brandy, plus more, if necessary grated zest of one orange (preferably organic)
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1. ) Mix everything together and pack in a jar.
2. ) Let stand for at least one to three days before using. If the brandy absorbs quickly and the mixture appears dry, add another dash, just enough so the mixture is thoroughly moistened.
3. ) Add to apple or pear fruit fillings prior to baking.
Note: For those who do not consume alcohol, try substituting apple cider or juice and a teaspoon of vanilla extract in place of the brandy. If omitting the brandy, the shelf life is cut down dramatically, you should be refrigerated and used within three or four days. Otherwise it will keep for at least two months. Thanks giving, Christmas & New Years perfect!
Use in the following Grilled Apples recipe…..
Did you know that Coy Bettie’s has Vegan soup all thru the week? And meaty of Friday?
Tuesday is : Vegan gluten-free split pea soup, named , ” Grapes of Wrath” ….great flavor!
Friday is : Gluten-free Chicken gumbo called,”Almost Famous”…..lot of veggies even okra , rice & chicken……Friday is the only day I cook a meaty soup! So make it in all you meaty lovers !
We are now selling gluten-free/vegan breads in a varieties of flavors….More to come too.
*Gluten-free/Vegan Millet Bread
*Gluten-Free/Vegan Potato Bread
*Gluten-Free/Vegan Bean Flour Bread
*Gluten-Free/Vegan Brown Rice Bread
All Our breads are baked in pans reserved only for Gluten-free baking. We do bake with gluten flour but reserve certain days and pans for baking each flours to limit cross contamination. Our Bread are soy free, Nut Free, Lactose Free, Egg Free, Not Grainy (because we grind our own Brown Rice flours to insure powder fine quality), standard medium loaf size and height, made in small batches to insure quailty.
Call for availability or wholesale interests….208-921-5122
Vegan Mocha Fondue
9 oz/250 grams semi-sweet at least 50 % Choco solids ( I prefer 70 %) made with soy not milk !
1/3 to 1/2 Cup Vanilla Soy
2 shots of espresso or 1 TBS instant coffee granules
3 TBS coffee flavored liquor (real or as fake) like Kahlua , Irish Cream ect.
1) Break chocolate pieces in to a fondue pot over a warmer (Hot setting) or in a double boiler on the stove over med heat.
2) When melted add liquor and soy stir until throughly mixed be sure to get the bottom and sides mixed in too.
3) Turn the fondue heat to low or transfer to a heated ceramic bowl (so the fondue doesn’t cool too soon. You can put the ceramic bowl with an inch of water in the bottom and microwave it to heat it BUT remember to dump the water before adding the fondue.)
4) Dip away~ strawberries, seedless grapes, bananas, kiwi, pretzels, firm peaches, vegan sponge cake,granny smith apple slices Ect.
The new shelf is for….
Vintage inspired jewelry and hats
Gluten-free/vegan bread flour & bread
Coming Soon Gluten-free/vegan soba noodles!
Vintage clip art Recipe cards & books
Vintage inspired calendars all designed by Coy Bettie!
**** A honorable Vintage obsession note: The base is made out of a trundle sewing machine. Recycle and reuse! Vintage is a great One of a Kind type of decorating!
Vegan Salad/Stir Fry~ Great Cold or Hot
Zucchini, 2 small or one large, quarter and the diced
Pecan pieces, a Large Handful
Dried Cranberries, a Large Handful
Red Onions, 1/4 to 1/2 Cup finely diced
Tomatoes, one med diced
Bell Pepper ( I liked yellow or orange peppers for this recipe) diced
Eggplant, cut a 2″ section. Slice the section and then dices in 1 cm cubes
Spinach, chopped, large handful
Balsamic Vinaigrette to coat
Garlic pepper to taste
Hot Stir Fry Steps:
1) Add all the veggie in a veggie oil coated frying pan. Stir around until the veggies are hot. The goal is to have sautéed veggies with a little bit of crunch remaining.
2) Remove from heat
3) Coat with the Balsamic Vinaigrette
4) Lay over a bed of wild rice.
Cold Salad Steps:
1) Add all the veggie in a veggie oil coated frying pan. Stir around until the veggies are hot. The goal is to have sautéed veggies with a little bit of crunch.
2) Remove from heat
3) Coat with the Balsamic Vinaigrette
4) Chill for an hour
5) Serve over fresh spinach
Two ways to enjoy! One for lunch one for dinner
B-Fresh Gum~Gluten-free , Vegan & Soy Free~Review
I used to chew gum a lot at work for fresher breath. Not everyone can brush their teeth, at work , so I used to chew gum to get all the gunk out of my teeth and freshen my breath for the next shift of customers. But after getting all crowns on my back teeth. Chewing gum began to hurt and I quit using it. I also have changed my diet a bit since then and am aiming for healthier alternative to sugar packed bubble gum. The I found at the local food store cash register line (Yes they got me with those at the register sales )….Amazing Effective B Fresh Breath Freshening Gum. I tried the flavor “Cool Spearmint”. The taste was good and authentic tasting. What I liked about it is, it freshen my breath quickly, and then I toss it out. And…It didn’t hurt my sensitive teeth and gums. It says “Amazing Effective Breath Freshening ” for a reason….It changes you breath from garlic to minty fast! Bubble gum it is not, but for people like me who want a gluten-free, vegan, & in my case soy free gum this is it. Instantly fresh breath ! It comes in other flavor & in bottles and packs.
This is a post for a wonderful customer with adorable little man and that I have been promising to get her this recipe for almost a year, but am a crazy busy lady and have forgotten. Sorry ! So here it is for all to enjoy.
Pear Peanut Butter Sponge Cake Squares
1 Fresh pear 1 Egg equivalent of E-replacer
1/3 Cup Sugar 3/4 Cup flour
1/3 Cup brown Sugar 1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/3 Cup Began margarine 1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/3 Cup Adams Peanut Butter 1/4 tsp Salt
1) Pare, half, core and mash the pear.
2) Cream with sugar, vegan”butter”, peanut butter, and E-replacer.
3) Combine add dry ingredients and sift.
4) Add to the creamed mixture. Mix well.
5) Pour into a greased 9 X 9″ square pan.
6) Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 25 mins. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.
Chai Tea Apple Sauce Drizzle Syrup~Vegan
2 Cups Apple Sauce
6 2/3 Cups Organic sugar, sifted
1 TBS plus 1 tsp Ground cloves
1 TBS Ground cardamom
1 TBS Vanilla extract
1 Cup of hot strongly steeped Chai tea~2 bags preferred
1) Add all to a bowl on a beat sugar and applesauce until soft granules are softening.
2) Add the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth 2 to 3 mins.
3) Pour into containers for later. I usually do one for the fridge lasts about a week, one for the freezer.
This syrup is good over coffee cake, ice cream, baked apples and pears.