Sugar-less Apple Butter….. Harvest Season is here!
12 Cups of apples peeled and diced (An apple peeler and corer can do this is in one 15 seconds . Hint: Get a metal one the plastic ones are worthless. I love mine if you are going to get into canning you need one . Plus it is great for apple pies or at my Bistro a treat for the kid’s meal. Kids love how they spiral)
3 Cups Concentrated Apple Juice 1 Cup Lemon Juice
9 Cups Apple Cider 2 TBS Cinnamon
2 tsp Nutmeg 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Salt (optional)
1) Remove the stems and blossoms, peel and core all the apples.
2) Place in a Non-aluminum kettle ( enamel, Stainless steal ect.) . Add apple juice concentrate, apple cider,and lemon juice and cook until it has gone down by half in volume and resembles apple sauce. Stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
3) Add the spices and mix well, heat for about 5 mins to set the flavors in. Remove from heat.
4) Pack in sterile 1/2 pint or pint jars leaving about 3/4′ from the top of the jar. Cap with sterile lids
5) Process in a boiling hot bath process. After the water begins to boil again from setting the jars in the pot boil the jars for 5 mis more.
6) Make about 12 cups. When the jars are cool, date and label the containers and store in a dark cool place.
To Freeze steps:
1) Cook as in the above step 1-3
2) Fill freezing jars or containers. and let cool until room temperature. Date and label the containers.
3) Then place in the coolest part of the freezer until hard.