Veggie Rice Balls
2 lbs. fresh spinach, washed and large stems removed OR use 1 10 oz. box frozen spinach, thawed, with liquid squeezed out
1 whole diced avocado, small pieces
1 c. chopped green onions, saute’
1/2 C pecan peices or almond slices or bites. The smaller the better, so crush if needed (optional)
2 c. cooked rice, brown or white, short rice because it is stickier
2 T. finely chopped fresh dill or (2 t. dried)
1 1/2 T. lime or lemon juice
1 C. or so of cheese…crumbled feta , shredded cheddar OR mozzarella
salt and pepper
1 to 2 C. fine bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
1) Steam spinach; drain and chop.
2) Saute scallions in olive or veggie oil until slightly browned.
3) Combine spinach, avocado, green onions, pecans, rice, dill, lemon juice, cheese, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly, breaking up the rice grains by mashing them against the sides of the bowl with your mixing spoon. Combine until mixture holds together.
4) Using damp hands, roll spoonfuls of mixture into 1″ bite-sized balls or 1/4 cup-sized balls.
4) Roll balls in fine bread crumbs and place on baking sheet, placed very close together
5) Bake at 350°F for 20–25 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
Note: These freeze really well.